Christmas CO tragedy

At Christmas time tragedy is the name of the game where story-lines are concerned for TV soaps. This year will be no exception as one of Coronation Street’s most popular characters Fiz will suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Single mother and factory worker Fiz will succumb to the silent killer on Boxing Day after she gets her friend Tyrone to fix her boiler so that she can save money.
The Heating and Hotwater Industry Council (HHIC) is urging people to make sure they contact a qualified installer who is Gas Safe Registered. Fiz’s friend Tyrone is a car mechanic and thinks he is qualified to mend a boiler but this leads to devastating consequences.
HHIC is issuing five safety tips:

  • Make sure the heating engineer is Gas Safe Registered and ask to see ID.
  • Get your boiler annually serviced for safety and to save money.
  • As well as Gas Safe Registered an installer can also belong to the HHIC national Benchmark scheme which provides added reassurance regarding competency.
  • Fit a carbon monoxide alarm inside your home.
  • Be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning. Remember the six main symptoms to look out for according to Gas Safe Register: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Roger Webb HHIC Director said: “TV is such a powerful medium as it gets right into people’s homes and viewing figures at Christmas are particular high. The attention given to this important issue by Coronation Street producers will be very powerful and it reinforces the messages that our industry is keen to get the public to hear. That is why we have drawn up a list of five top tips to stay Carbon Monoxide safe, not just this Christmas but all year round.”

Form not found, form id :279